• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnancy Bedrest after layoff notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tlg_1979

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I am 8 months pregnant with twins. When I first found out it was twins, I contacted my HR about the Short Term Disability coverage because my DR told me I would be required to go on bed rest prior to the delivery.
Recently I informed my team lead and manager that my doctor said I would be out on bed rest by 2/23/09.
Since then the company has done a mass layoff of employees, of which I was impacted.
I recieved the notice on 2/9/09 that my last day with the company would be 2/26 with a severance package. However, due to the increase in stress my DR has ordered me on bed rest starting tomorrow 2/11/09.
Since the disability would have started after 5 days of sick time, and would begin prior to the 2/26 date...Am I still entitled to my disability coverage offered to me as an employee of the company, which would include bed rest and the weeks following the delivery?
the first HR rep said what typically has happened in the past is that the severance was paid out at the end of the disability time frame, however, she wasn't sure if this would be the case since no disability paperwork was started as of 2/9.

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thank you

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That's going to depend entirely on the wording of your disability policy, which none of us has read. This is not a legal question; this is a question of the insurance contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">