• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemp. Bens. Denied and Going to Hearing...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

escanz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
I was fired for not adhering to the corporate attendance/tardiness policy. I am deaf in 1 ear from a severe inner ear infection in 2007, and have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I was not advised to obtain FMLA coverage by my manager. When I did he took offense and withheld work. There were still instances when I was a couple to tops 20 minutes late to work mainly due to my inability to hear and the side effects of the medications I was on at the time. I also asked whether I could be accommodated under the Americans With Disabilities Act and was totally ignored. I worked my hours required. Also, my minutes late in the morning did not affect my job performance in any way. Still, I was fired for accruing the occurrences which led to termination. Now the company is denying my right to unemployment benefits stating that I willfully did not adhere to policy and lost my job due to my own actions. The tardiness portion of the attendance policy is not in any way applied equally throughout the company either. It is per the manager's discretion. Any advice?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes. Start getting to work on time.

I fail to see how deafness, depression, or anxiety entitles you to be tardy. The ADA was not put into place to enable you to avoid responsibility. My husband suffers from all three conditions and still manages to be on time for class (he is a teacher) every day of the week.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">