• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a medical resident be terminated AFTER seeking treatment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

secretslost

ohio

Is my bf in danger of being kicked out of his residency?
He showed up late after a long long night....

during his rotation..he was pulled out and tested to see if alcohol was still in his system.

he attended a 28 day manditory inpatient...at the request of his department.

Everyone looks forward to his return...except for the guy running the department.

Hes dont everything asked of him...and this is his first offence....

what can he do to prevent a firing?

ecmst12

What can he do to avoid being fired? I suggest prayer. Which step is the higher power? There is no legal reason that they could not fire him so he can only hope for mercy if he shows he's cleaned up his act.

cyjeff

What can he do to avoid being fired? I suggest prayer. Which step is the higher power? There is no legal reason that they could not fire him so he can only hope for mercy if he shows he's cleaned up his act.
Of course, the circumstances around the "pulled out of shift" are also significant.

If a patient complained because their doctor was drunk, then there really is no reason to even pray.

lealea1005

Going out for a "long, long night" of drinking when you know you have rounds the next morning shows a total lack of resposibility. He not only put his patients at risk, it also put the residency program and his supervising senior residents & attending Physicians at risk. It wouldn't surprise me if the attendings refuse to supervise him.

Last edited:

Beth3

Is my bf in danger of being kicked out of his residency? Yes. He showed up drunk on the job and/or so hung over it was obvious he was unfit for duty. The judgment he exercised is both appalling and reckless.

Everyone looks forward to his return...except for the guy running the department. The guy running the department is the one who is responsible for the quality of patient care provided. I'm sure he was none too pleased that a resident showed up to work drunk.

Hes dont everything asked of him...and this is his first offence.... Sometimes, you only get one chance.

what can he do to prevent a firing? Nothing. The ball is entirely in his employer's court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">