• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fair Credit Rating Act (FCRA) and Possible Job Loss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FCRA_Screwed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Hello everyone out there,

First I want to apologize for starting a new thread under some else's thread, I did not mean to hijack the thread :eek:

I need some advice. Last month (Jan 7, 09) I was removed from a contract because of my credit report submission and now I am in jeopardy of losing my job.

Background: I have been working on a federal contract for about one year and 11 months (my hire date was Feb. 2007) when I was hired, I was not required to submit the FCRA form. However, I filed for my DOD security clearance. On April 2008, I was notified that I was cleared for my DOD clearance (OH JOY!). I continued to work as a model worker on the contract, during the summer of 2008, I had some financial issues that caused me to lapse on my credit cards payment. On Sept. 2008, I signed with a debt management company to get my credit under control. The following month, I received notification I that I was not suitable to work on the contract and had file for my background check all over again, this time I had to submit the FCRA form. I was sure that everything was ok, I am with a debt management company, I am current with my payments, and I just had a hiccup during the summer. Well, on January 7, 2009 at 3:45 pm, my supervisor told me that I did not pass and I had to leave the building immediately with my belongings and was told to start look for employment elsewhere.

I have not been working since Jan 7 but considered “On the beach”. I do not know how long this will last and I am scared of being terminated. I have searched for jobs but nothing has landed me employment. Now, I found out that the company I am still employed with was contractually not obligated to submit FCRA for employees until Jan 2008, which was well after I started working on the contract.

My question, is this possible, can a gov’t agency change their mind and have their federal contactor go back and have established workers submit FCRA forms?

I hope you all understand what I wrote, I just need to make sense of all this… I need to move onWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Hello everyone out there,

First I want to apologize for starting a new thread under some else's thread, I did not mean to hijack the thread :eek:

I need some advice. Last month (Jan 7, 09) I was removed from a contract because of my credit report submission and now I am in jeopardy of losing my job.

Background: I have been working on a federal contract for about one year and 11 months (my hire date was Feb. 2007) when I was hired, I was not required to submit the FCRA form. However, I filed for my DOD security clearance. On April 2008, I was notified that I was cleared for my DOD clearance (OH JOY!). I continued to work as a model worker on the contract, during the summer of 2008, I had some financial issues that caused me to lapse on my credit cards payment. On Sept. 2008, I signed with a debt management company to get my credit under control. The following month, I received notification I that I was not suitable to work on the contract and had file for my background check all over again, this time I had to submit the FCRA form. I was sure that everything was ok, I am with a debt management company, I am current with my payments, and I just had a hiccup during the summer. Well, on January 7, 2009 at 3:45 pm, my supervisor told me that I did not pass and I had to leave the building immediately with my belongings and was told to start look for employment elsewhere.

I have not been working since Jan 7 but considered “On the beach”. I do not know how long this will last and I am scared of being terminated. I have searched for jobs but nothing has landed me employment. Now, I found out that the company I am still employed with was contractually not obligated to submit FCRA for employees until Jan 2008, which was well after I started working on the contract.

My question, is this possible, can a gov’t agency change their mind and have their federal contactor go back and have established workers submit FCRA forms?

I hope you all understand what I wrote, I just need to make sense of all this… I need to move onWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: the answer is yes.

mlane58

Government agencies do this very frequently and federal contractors have to follow through on those demands.

If you're talking TS/SCI, then you know that they are extremely picky about poor marks on your credit, and even moreso during this downturn. There's a gal on FederalSoup who is a clearance lawyer who might be able to give you more advice, but my guess is that you're stuck...

mlane58

If you're talking TS/SCI, then you know that they are extremely picky about poor marks on your credit, and even moreso during this downturn. There's a gal on FederalSoup who is a clearance lawyer who might be able to give you more advice, but my guess is that you're stuck...
It doesn't matter wheather it's a TS/SCI or even a simple ETNAC, federal agencies can change their requirements to suit their needs of the contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">