• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When is severance pay due?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kwebb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KS

Yesterday I was laided off from my job due to economic reasons. My employer put in writing that I am entitled to two weeks severance pay, pay through the end of the day yesterday, and any unused vacation time I have accumulated. Are they required to pay my unused personal and sick time and when are they required to pay the severance pay? An employee at the unemployment office said they are required to hand you your checks at the time of your termination. I am just wondering if this is the case.

Thanks for any feedback!:confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no state where personal or sick time is due at termination unless there is a legally binding contract or CBA that specifically says otherwise, or if it is part of an all-inclusive PTO policy.

I'll let one of the payroll people handle the timing of final pay. In most states, including Kansas, there is no law requiring severance to be paid at all -few states have any laws regarding the timing of the payout when it is offered but Patty or someone will know if Kansas is one of the exceptions.

Beth3

Kanses requires final wages to be paid on the employee's next regularly scheduled pay date. Since severance is voluntary, the employer may pay it whenever they like but in most instances, employers generally elect to pay it in "regular rotation", that is on the regular pay dates following the employee's last paycheck, until the severance is all paid out. You can always call your employer and ask when you're going to receive it - in a lump sum on your final paycheck or the pay period following.

Whomever you spoke to at the UC office is misinformed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">