• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confederate Symbols

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rebyll

A company I used to work for here in North Carolina in 1996 asked me to stop wearing ball caps, and shirts to work that displayed the Confederate Flag. I was also asked to remove from my office a coffee mug, two figurines, and a framed portrait of Col. J.S. Mosby. C.S.A. Which, under protest I did.
   I know I could have probably fought it then and won, but in 1998 the company sold out and the new owners saw fit to let me go (not for the same reasons)
   I was told that I could have probably sued the other company for making me comply a new rule, but in the long run I probably would have won the battle and lost the war.
    My question is.... Is it too late to try to sue the first company for making me rmove my Confederate symbols, or could I have done it then?

D

D. D. Lessenberry

rebel flag

The statute of limitations has probably run out.

As to suing then: Did other employees display pictures of radical minority leaders, "Minority Power!" stickers, etc.?

Employers have about 99 percent of the right to do what they do--make you dress a certain way, not hire you if you smoke, etc. You were probably w/o cause even in '96.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">