• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lulu1586

Confused why I was terminated

:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I was recently terminated from a job at a DCFS certified daycare/preschool after only being there for two weeks. When I applied for the job I was completely honest about everything on my application and told them that I had two convictions while I was in college for underage drinking and gave them the months and years. I was hired and two weeks later they fired me for that reason because I had two convictions that came up on my background check. They led me to believe that this was because of DCFS and their ruling and it was pretty much out of their hands. However, I spoke with DCFS the following day and to my surprise the lady told me that DCFS had cleared me to work on both the FBI and state level, and that the minor misdemenor doesnt even show up when they pull my name because its really not that big of a deal ( I was also able to achieve a teaching license with no issue at all). THe lady from DCFS called the daycare center and found out that they went through a private background check and that is where the convictions showed up. The lady from DCFS told me it was pointless for them to do this and I shouldnt have a poblem finding a job at any other daycare center. I don't even want to work for this company any more since the situation because I think it is pretty bogus. I guess I don't really understand why they even hired me knowing that I had these two convictions if they were going to use it as means to fire me two weeks later. Is there any thing else I can do?

Last edited:

JETX

Is there any thing else I can do?
You can threaten to hold your breath unless they give you your job back. Or you can go look for another job.
You are not ENTITLED to a job and your employer is not required to hire you or to keep you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">