• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardianship issues....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djbaker1969

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My mother has been at a state mental institution for years. She owns a co-op and had cash in a cd. The co-op is being foreclosed as maintenance has not been paid in a very long time. I do not have a DPOA, my mother is very mentally ill, very distrusting and paranoid.

NY State called me because they dont want the co-op to foreclose (they want the asset).. They want me to petition for Guardianship (they said they will do all the paperwork, all I have to do is show up for a hearing to be granted the Guardianship) and then gain control of my mothers assets so I may pay the back maintenance, then sell the co-op and turn all the cash over to them to help pay for her medical costs.

They told me I may be paid a commission for my help and any out of pocket expenses I incur will be reimbursed.

Please help with the following:
Should I do this?
How much of a burden will this be on me?
How much commission could they possibly afford me?

I am a little bitter because 1) I never had the opportunity to do "Medicaid Planning" due to my mothers mental illness 2) I originally was my mothers payee rep for Social Security, but even though I explained the funds were used to pay my mothers co-op fees and health insurance premiums - the Instution went behind my back and had the designation taken from me....now that my mothers unpaid health costs have gotten out of hand - the instituion now cares so much about the apartment.

Unfortunately I am quite ill myself and live hand to mouth so getting into a demanding situation would be a bad idea.

Thanks very much for your help and advice!

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My mother has been at a state mental institution for years. She owns a co-op and had cash in a cd. The co-op is being foreclosed as maintenance has not been paid in a very long time. I do not have a DPOA, my mother is very mentally ill, very distrusting and paranoid.

NY State called me because they dont want the co-op to foreclose (they want the asset).. They want me to petition for Guardianship (they said they will do all the paperwork, all I have to do is show up for a hearing to be granted the Guardianship) and then gain control of my mothers assets so I may pay the back maintenance, then sell the co-op and turn all the cash over to them to help pay for her medical costs.

They told me I may be paid a commission for my help and any out of pocket expenses I incur will be reimbursed.

Please help with the following:
Should I do this?
How much of a burden will this be on me?
How much commission could they possibly afford me?

I am a little bitter because 1) I never had the opportunity to do "Medicaid Planning" due to my mothers mental illness 2) I originally was my mothers payee rep for Social Security, but even though I explained the funds were used to pay my mothers co-op fees and health insurance premiums - the Instution went behind my back and had the designation taken from me....now that my mothers unpaid health costs have gotten out of hand - the instituion now cares so much about the apartment.

Unfortunately I am quite ill myself and live hand to mouth so getting into a demanding situation would be a bad idea.

Thanks very much for your help and advice!
Being a guardian is very demanding. Guardians compensation is via court approval with a court order issued, not by any commission. Furthermore, the court must approve of the sale of the co-op.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">