• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Demotion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tiredofthebs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I am sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this... I'll forego the long story and just ask the question. Can an employer demote someone just because they feel like it (and in turn reducing their pay)? Or do they need to have some justification, ie poor job performance in order to do this? If they need justification, what type of proof do they need that this is justified and not just a manager who doesn't like someone (do they need anything in their employee record such as a written reprimand or anything like that?)?

Thank you!

Beth3

Can an employer demote someone just because they feel like it (and in turn reducing their pay)? Yes.

Or do they need to have some justification, ie poor job performance in order to do this? No, they don't need any justification but almost always there is some, even if the employee doesn't agree with the reason for decison.

If they need justification, what type of proof do they need that this is justified and not just a manager who doesn't like someone (do they need anything in their employee record such as a written reprimand or anything like that?)? None.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I am sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this... I'll forego the long story and just ask the question. Can an employer demote someone just because they feel like it (and in turn reducing their pay)? Or do they need to have some justification, ie poor job performance in order to do this? If they need justification, what type of proof do they need that this is justified and not just a manager who doesn't like someone (do they need anything in their employee record such as a written reprimand or anything like that?)?

Thank you!
**A: yes they can demote, suspend, fire for any reason or no reason at all as long as state and federal discrimination rules were not broken.

cyjeff

On an aside...

If your screen name was supposed to be funny, realize that we do not allow racial or religious intolerance or slurs here.

Antigone*

On an aside...

If your screen name was supposed to be funny, realize that we do not allow racial or religious intolerance or slurs here.
Jeff...am I thick today or what:confused: How is "tired of the b s" a racial or religious slur....did I miss something

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">