• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

39:3-40 in NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vinit.parkar

Hey guys,
I have 6 points on my license and was supposed to pay a insurance surcharge to the MVC. but as i did not update my address, i did not get the notification and my license was suspended and I was pulled over by the cop for driving with suspended license. My car was impounded. Then i took a court date and I decided to go and plead not guilty, as I was not aware of the notification.
I dont know if what I did was the right thing to do ?
Now the judge adviced to to get a lawyer as it could have serious results if i lost and I agreed. Now my case will be rescheduled in next month some day.
Firstly, what was the best thing to do -- plead guilty or not guilty?
secondly now what should I do, should I get a lawyer or go to the court next time and plead guilty?
This crime has $500 fine and a possible license suspension and can have 9 insurance points on the license. I am totally confused and cant figure out what to do?
Can someone give me some sincere advice which I should follow ?
Thanks in advance
vinitWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

You follow the counsel of the lawyer. The judge gave you good advice.
Not getting notice is not going to be an excuse. You knew you had failed to pay and that your license would be suspended as a result. Your failure to get a notice was purely do to your further violation of the law by not giving them your valid address. You lawyer can most likely tell you how to mitigate the damages of the mess of your own making.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">