• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Insurance in New York

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nyrnwriter

I left my job a few months ago to take care of my dad who was sick and had heart surgery.I originally went out under FMLA and then when I found out it was going to be a long haul, for the good of my employer, I resigned to take care of my dad. In doing so I knew I would have some financial issue so I applied and got food stamps. They required that I apply for unemployment but thinking that they do not pay if you voluntarily leave your job, I felt sure I would not get it.
Today I got a determination that I qualified for unemployment. I had put on my application that I had resigned to take care of my dad. I found out that you can get umemployment for some issues surrounding voluntary quit for good cause- is the fact that I quit to take care of my dad considered a good cause?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">