• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do i get my inheritance money??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amccoy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California. My father passed away in 2007 in Texas, that is were he lived. I recieved a copy of his will stating that he left me $15,000. My half brother and sister are in charge of his estate and are not disbursing any money to me or any other family members my father had included in his will that they don't particularly care for..Shortly after his death I hired a lawyer in Texas to handle my case and payed him a small sum but everytime I call him he says that we are waiting on the money and it's been the same antics with him from the beginning. I would like to know what could be done about this or are my siblings allowed to keep the money for themselves? Also if my father never payed my mother any child support, could this be taken from my fathers estate as well?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

nextwife

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California. My father passed away in 2007 in Texas, that is were he lived. I recieved a copy of his will stating that he left me $15,000. My half brother and sister are in charge of his estate and are not disbursing any money to me or any other family members my father had included in his will that they don't particularly care for..Shortly after his death I hired a lawyer in Texas to handle my case and payed him a small sum but everytime I call him he says that we are waiting on the money and it's been the same antics with him from the beginning. I would like to know what could be done about this or are my siblings allowed to keep the money for themselves? Also if my father never payed my mother any child support, could this be taken from my fathers estate as well?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Have you reviewed the estate filings to determine what the assets are and what is owed to the estate creditors? Do you know whether the estate had more than what may have been owed creditors?

If he did not pay court ordered child support, mom could file against the estate for her arrearage.

Dandy Don

You will need to call or write the county courthouse in Texas that handled his estate to order copies of the probate file to see exactly how the estate was handled. Too bad your attorney is not more forthcoming in providing information, but let's hope he is not hiding something.

amccoy

Originally Posted by nextwife: Have you reviewed the estate filings to determine what the assets are and what is owed to the estate creditors? Do you know whether the estate had more than what may have been owed creditors?

If he did not pay court ordered child support, mom could file against the estate for her arrearage.
I don't know how to go about reviewing the estate filings to determine what the assets are and what is owed to the estate creditors. My mother passed away in 2005, does that mean that I cannot collect it?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">