• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fear of getting fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davidkawasaki

A friend of mine (Mr.S) is fear of getting fired, because he lied on his resume. What happened was, in 2004, he applied for an analyst in a federal agency, he DID lie on his resume. It was about his experience. The job required database analysis experience, but he did not have any at the time. As Mr. A (one of his friends) works at a company and is a manager in a database analysis sub-division office, Mr.S asked him to write a reference letter. The letter indicated that Mr.S worked under Mr. A as a volunteer in the database office over a year, but the truth was that Mr.S had never worked in the company. In the end, Mr.S was hired by the federal agency. Before start working at the agency, Mr.S learned some database analysis online and got the certificates. He overcame some difficulties in the first several months, now he does his work fairly well. But recently the HR office started to review employees' resumes ... this makes him very nervous, he is fear of getting fired if the HR office finds out his lie.

I recommended Mr.S to consult with workplace attorneys to prepare for the worst, but he does not want to do so. That's why I'm writing this post.

I guess his lie might be "a serious workplace offense". So I have some questions regarding his case:

1, If the HR office finds out the truth, how serious would be? as Mr.S works in a federal agency, how many chances he could get fired?

2, If Mr.S gets fired, what happens to Mr.A? He could get fired as well? Oh, there was a detail I didn't mention above. In fact, the HR office called Mr. A to confirm the letter, and Mr. A said the letter was all true ...

3, Is there any possible criminal charges as well?

I would appreciate an early reply.

David

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) He might. He might not. There is no way to estimate his chances without knowing all the players involved. If he is fired, it will be legal.

2.) Unless Mr. A currently works for the same employer as the one your friend lied to, it is unlikely that he will be fired. If he does, then same answer as above.

3.) No.

davidkawasaki

Thanks for the reply.

There were something else ... As federal agency is difficult to "get in", Mr.S was introduced by some insider (Ms. B) in the agency, plus the "strong experience resume", he got the position ... As return, Mr.S's wife helped Ms.B's husband to get a position at an university. The whole thing was a trade.

Mr.A still works at the same company and was promoted to a higher position.

cyjeff

First, it is not illegal to be fired for falsifying a resume.

Happens all the time.

Second, if you are asking if another worker that vouched for the false resume could be terminated for it, the answer is also yes barring an agreement to the contrary (government offices have their own rules about a lot of things).

Yes, it is possible that anyone involved in the deception would be in trouble.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Here's the point I am trying to make and evidently not succeeding at.

John wants to work for the ABC company. He gets his friend, Jim, who works at the XYZ company, to write him a false recommendation. On the strength of Jim's recommendation, John is hired at the ABC company. Later, somehow, the ABC company discovers that John lied and that Jim's letter was false. John is fired. What happens to Jim?

The ABC company cannot fire Jim because Jim does not work for them. They can, if they so choose, report what happened to the XYZ company, but what the XYZ company does about it is up to the XYZ company. And why should the XYZ company care? IF they decide that they don't want someone who would write a false recommendation working them they can fire Jim and it would be legal. However, why should they care what happens at the ABC company?

Substitute any two federal agencies for ABC and XYZ above and the answer is still the same.

However, if Jim works for the ABC company too and was writing an INTERNAL recommendation, that's a different story. In that case, the ABC company CAN fire Jim, and it will again be legal. They are more likely to care about a false internal recommendation than the XYZ company would be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">