• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Karen-1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

This is not for me but here's the issue. A friend of mine has some potbelly pigs as pets. Without going into the long history of her battle with the city, basically she has been allowed to keep the pigs until they live out their natural life but is forbidden from taking in any more. She was in the rescue business and in fact, the city's humane society brought her abandoned pot pigs. Anyway, after her pigs were grandfathered in and she is allowed to keep what she has, the humane society recently cited her. Turns out the code violation they cited her with is non existant -- and when they finally mailed her the cite with the amount due, they crossed out the non-existent city code and handwrote in a new one. Keep in mind, the mailing is a courtesy such as when we get a ticket for speeding, we are required to show up or pay based on the citation from the police officer. The mailing is a courtesy and if we don't receive on in the mail, we are still responsible to pay the fine or show up in court.

My question is: Is the city allowed to simply handwite a corrected code violation or must the recite a violation?

I cannot answer the question as to the code violation as she was told by the humane society officer that she had 2 pigs on her front lawn.

outonbail

They can make any corrections to the citation they wish. The only question is whether your friend is being cited under an actual city ordinance and if so, is he/she guilty of violating said ordinance.

While your friend may be allowed to keep the pigs, even if they are no longer allowed in city limits, (due to the grandfather clause) these pigs would still have to be restrained and not allowed to roam free.

So your friend could be guilty of breaking the leash law, or something similar.

What city/county are you in and what is the code you or your friend have been charged with violating?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">