• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i be fired because someone they like better put in an application?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Amplady

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I have worked with this company for over 5 years now. I started out as a home worker and then 2 years ago met membership requirements and was voted in by the committee to become a member (company is member owned). We worked there for 2 years as memebers. The first year they lost a lot of money and I had to pay back to the company over 1 thousand dollars which I did. This year 4 new people have met membership requirements and were approved by the board in January. I was informed shortly there after we were not longer employed by the company and to return all of our supplies.

As I said the company is member owned which are all employees. The board is made up of workers voted in by the members and consisits of a group of friends/drinking buddies of the person that decides who does & does not work for the company (manager). There is no one at the job I can go to and appeal to as the board does what the manager wants.

Its like the sopranos or something when you are not friends with or drinking buddies of the bossman you are eliminated.

Is this legal? Do I have any recourse? I asked why I was fired and was told the manager chooses who they want to work with and no longer wants to work with us. Reality is her mom made membership and her friends brother made membership as well as her drinking buddy and another employee in the factory.

Please help this is 2/3 of my income and I can't survive without it.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I have worked with this company for over 5 years now. I started out as a home worker and then 2 years ago met membership requirements and was voted in by the committee to become a member (company is member owned). We worked there for 2 years as memebers. The first year they lost a lot of money and I had to pay back to the company over 1 thousand dollars which I did. This year 4 new people have met membership requirements and were approved by the board in January. I was informed shortly there after we were not longer employed by the company and to return all of our supplies.

As I said the company is member owned which are all employees. The board is made up of workers voted in by the members and consisits of a group of friends/drinking buddies of the person that decides who does & does not work for the company (manager). There is no one at the job I can go to and appeal to as the board does what the manager wants.

Its like the sopranos or something when you are not friends with or drinking buddies of the bossman you are eliminated.

Is this legal? Do I have any recourse? I asked why I was fired and was told the manager chooses who they want to work with and no longer wants to work with us. Reality is her mom made membership and her friends brother made membership as well as her drinking buddy and another employee in the factory.

Please help this is 2/3 of my income and I can't survive without it.
What kind of "job" is this?

Amplady

it is for a local factory. They have employees that work at the factory and then what they call kits that employees take home with them. Some just do the kits at home and some work at the factory during the day and take kits home at night or on the weekends to do. We filled out an application to work there and are were on payroll getting paid every two weeks by direct deposit.

We choose to work there because I have a son with major medical. With the kits we take them home for example on a Tuesday at 1pm and it is due back by Thursday at 10 am. We can work on it whatever hours we choose to as long as it is done and back by the set time. Ours are always on time and often back early so there have never been any problems with that nor the quality of our work.

I was told by the board secretary the manager chooses who they want to work with and have decided they no longer want to work with us. I asked what we did wrong and was told there was nothing the manager just didnt want to work with us anymore and its their call. Not once have we ever been written up for anything.

The company provides us with all of the supplies for the use in the work and have sent a letter demanding them back. I am not sure what to do yet and am needing to know if they legally can do this or if there is need for me to hire a lawyer and try to fight them.

Any help is greatly appreciated as work is scarce in this town and that was 2/3 of our income. What we have left will cover the housepayment and escrow for insurance/property taxes but only leave us with 300 for utilities, food, vehicles etc.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Let me put it this way. It does not violate any LAWS to fire you because they like someone else's app better.

Whether or not this "membership" gives you any contractual job rights is something you will have to discuss with a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">