• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Window Tint Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dlynn73

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana. I live in Indiana and work in Illinois. My vehicle is registered in the state of Indiana. I have received 2 window tint violations (on my parked car) within 3 days parked at the same address. In Indiana it is legal to tint the front side windows of your vehicle, in Illinois it is not. Do I adhere to laws of the state that my car is registered in? Will I be successful in fighting these tickets in court? How often can you receive a ticket for the same violation?

davew128

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana. I live in Indiana and work in Illinois. My vehicle is registered in the state of Indiana. I have received 2 window tint violations (on my parked car) within 3 days parked at the same address. In Indiana it is legal to tint the front side windows of your vehicle, in Illinois it is not. Do I adhere to laws of the state that my car is registered in? Will I be successful in fighting these tickets in court? How often can you receive a ticket for the same violation?
If the ticket is from Illinois, you should be able to fight it and win. I'm guessing whomever wrote the ticket didn't know the law or didn't notice the Indiana plates.

Sec. 12-503. Windshields must be unobstructed and equipped with wipers.

(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any sign, poster, window application, reflective material, nonreflective material or tinted film upon the front windshield, sidewings or side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver. A nonreflective tinted film may be used along the uppermost portion of the windshield if such material does not extend more than 6 inches down from the top of the windshield. Nothing in this Section shall create a cause of action on behalf of a buyer against a dealer or manufacturer who sells a motor vehicle with a window which is in violation of this Section.

(b) Nothing contained in this Section shall prohibit the use of nonreflective, smoked or tinted glass, nonreflective film, perforated window screen or other decorative window application on windows to the rear of the driver's seat, except that any motor vehicle with a window to the rear of the driver's seat treated in this manner shall be equipped with a side mirror on each side of the motor vehicle which are in conformance with Section 12-502.

(c) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any objects placed or suspended between the driver and the front windshield, rear window, side wings or side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver which materially obstructs the driver's view.

(d) Every motor vehicle, except motorcycles, shall be equipped with a device, controlled by the driver, for cleaning rain, snow, moisture or other obstructions from the windshield; and no person shall drive a motor vehicle with snow, ice, moisture or other material on any of the windows or mirrors, which materially obstructs the driver's clear view of the highway.

(e) No person shall drive a motor vehicle when the windshield, side or rear windows are in such defective condition or repair as to materially impair the driver's view to the front, side or rear. A vehicle equipped with a side mirror on each side of the vehicle which are in conformance with Section 12?502 will be deemed to be in compliance in the event the rear window of the vehicle is materially obscured.

(f) Paragraphs (a) and (b) of this Section shall not apply to:

(1) motor vehicles manufactured prior to January 1, 1982; or
(2) to those motor vehicles properly registered in another jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">