• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA - Retail Theft & Receiving Stolen Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anr

I recently was seen on camera taking an item (it was $9.99) from a grocery store. Later that week I was called to my local police station where I admitted that I had taken the item, since I didn't lie and corporated. The cop said "I wont tack all the extra stuff on" which I thought was nice. A week later I got the expected summons with an extra charge. Along with the retail theft count two was receiving stolen property. Is there anyone that could tell me why I was also charged with this? Is it because the item was not returned to the store? Should I return the item to the store? Will I get 2 different marks on my permit record? And also, how bad will it hurt my chances of ARD with 2 cases against me? If anyone could please help me out with an opinion that would be awesome!

Antigone*

I recently was seen on camera taking an item (it was $9.99) from a grocery store. Later that week I was called to my local police station where I admitted that I had taken the item, since I didn't lie and corporated. The cop said "I wont tack all the extra stuff on" which I thought was nice. A week later I got the expected summons with an extra charge. Along with the retail theft count two was receiving stolen property. Is there anyone that could tell me why I was also charged with this? Is it because the item was not returned to the store? Should I return the item to the store? Will I get 2 different marks on my permit record? And also, how bad will it hurt my chances of ARD with 2 cases against me? If anyone could please help me out with an opinion that would be awesome!
Be ready to shell out a lot of money. A rather large civil penalty will be coming your way.

It was not too bright of you to speak to the police without an attorney present. Make sure you have representation the next time you are asked to speak to them.

Anr

Not what I wanted to hear :(.Well I didn't think the police would get me twice from one thing. Do you think there would be any chance that I could still get ARD? Why would they hit me with both things? Should I get a lawyer for my Summons? Man I have no clue what to do :- /

FlyingRon

Never take legal advice from a cop. Further, cops aren't the ultimate authority for what you'll be charged with so you can't rely on those statements. They can charge you with whatever you want. You can be guilty of two crimes with one act, they often pile on charges when they think they may not be able to get a conviction on all of them.

ARD is always at the discretion of the prosecutor and judge. Your attorney makes the application. If you've got no priors, it's routinely approved even on multiple counts.

Anr

Hmm alright so ill just get a public defender and have him app for ARD. I have no priors so I hope I get into it. Going to college in August and I don't want this nasty red mark on my record. Ill be sure to never steal again, and also never to take advice from a cop... Thanks for telling me what to look out for. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">