• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motion to show cause 14 years later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mega-man

I am in Alabama.
on june 16, 1994 I was convicted of a youthful offender act.
November 2008 I received a letter from the DA fine recovery team stating that I owed an outstaing balance of $2500 on a fine imposed on me as a juvenile.... so this notice came 14 years later...

the notice says that I had 10 days to pay the fine... of course I did not pay it. So the DA has succesfully gotten a motion to show just cause why a writ should not be issued for my arrest....

so basically I am now 32 years old with a motion to show just cause based on a sealed youthful offender act (failure to pay fine and court cost). The probation period on the charge expired on my 21st birth (11years ago) Can I defend this? I honestly never remember paying a fine or having to pay a fine for the case... it seems that if i owe a fine The DA would have filed this motion like 12 years ago... how can I defend this?
----------------------
I also posted this in juvenile since iw as a youthful offender.
I am confused. Is the DA allowed to do this 14 years later?

The Occultist

If you did not pay your fine, then you will be forever legally obligated to pay the fine.

My advice: contact the court to turn yourself in, and ask to set up a payment plan to pay your debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">