• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are living trusts recorded somewhere?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigdavetru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My mom lost her living trust. She used a lawyer in Whittier ( LA County ), but she can't remember exactly. Is it recorded somewhere and is it possible to retrieve a copy? thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Kiawah

Not recorded.

If she has investment accounts somewhere like at a brokerage, you might ask them if they have a copy. When I initially set up our brokerage accounts for the trusts, we had to send a copy of the trusts in. Whether they have them on image in their system, and would be willing to send to you, I don't know.

TrustUser

merrill lynch had me fill out their own certification of trust form. they did not ask for my trust document.

most institutions that i used made copies of only the necessary pages. the title page, the notarized page, and the page that shows that the trustee has the power to do banking transactions, or brokerage transactions, etc.

i cant recall even one institution making a full copy of the trust document.

does she keep her checkbooks ? it may show the attorney's name. or she might contact her bank, if she has an idea about which account she might have written the check to the attorney from.

i think most attorneys do keep the documents that they prepare for others.

she may have kept a copy in a safe deposit box at her bank. if not, she may want to do so, in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">