• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued for leased car not in my name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

skennedy25

I need to find out if I can be sued for cost coming from a lease that was not in my name. In 95, my girlfriend and I moved to Las Vegas and she purchased a new car for herself and then leased a car that I could drive and used my truck as a down payment.That was two new cars(at the same time)for one person. After about a year she damaged her car and chose to drive the car she leased and was letting me drive and leave the damaged car. I was making the lease payments up to that time and when she took the car away I told her that I wasn't going to pay on the lease because its not my fault that she didn't want to drive a car that she damaged(still driveable just had a big dent in the front corner)and I was driving the car. After a couple of months the car got repoed. It has now been three years and she now decides to tell me that Honda wants $4000 from her. We broke up back in 96. Can I be sued for this money by her since her name was on the lease?

JETX

Can you be sued? Yes, anyone can be sued.

Will a judgment be rendered against you? If the facts are as you state them, probably not. Unless your 'ex' can clearly show the court that you are liable (in whole or part) for the lease, she should not prevail (I say 'should not' since NO ONE knows what a court will decide).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">