• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Giving notice, getting fired instead - am I eligible for unemployment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LCW47

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

If I give two week's notice of my regisnation and my employer decides to let me go right then on the spot, do they have to pay me for the 2 weeks I intended to work? If not, would I qualify for unemployment benefits since I was technically terminated prior to when I intended to stop working for them? Or since I told them I was going to be resigning, is it their decision re: what will be my last day?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't necessarily agree, in part, with the above answer.

If you give your resignation and your employer chooses to accept it immediately instead of allowing you to work out your notice, they do not owe you for the two weeks notice - with that I agree. Many employers will voluntarily pay it out. But if they do not, then depending on your state and depending on what, if anything, your state has for a waiting period, you *might* be eligible for part or all of the unpaid notice.

CourtClerk

Even IF you qualified for unemployment, you'd only get it for 1 week. CA has a one week waiting period before you are eligible for benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">