• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xmasham

VA

Got fired for unkowningly breaking the code of conduct (management never properly trained us on this code, yet forced us to sign it as if we had), but was honest and told by the regional manager that I was forgiven since I had no complaints/record, there was no loss to the company or anyone involved and that I could return to work. At the end of the day, the same manager told me that I was being fired. I know that my confidentiality code was broken b/c another manager went and told a previous employee who was terminated for this very offense (although she had a complaint and the company was waiting to get her fired b/c of other issues they had with her) everything about my case while the investigation was happening and she told the company that if I didn't get fired, she would sue the company for not being consistent. Do I have any legal grounds to go after the company and/ or manager who broke my confidentiality code (also in the code of conduct) by telling an ex-employee everything that was going on which led to my termination since I was initially forgiven but then fired once they found out that the ex-employee knew about the case? I work in VA and know it is an at-will state. Also, management never told me what I was doing was wrong even though they knew it was happening or saw signs.

Would greatly appreciate a response. Thanks!!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hot Topic

If you didn't understand any or all of the code, you could and should have asked for clarification. Apparently other people "got" it.

xmasham

I appreciate the responses. I guess it is what it is.

But my question wasn't in regards to the code, which i took responsibility for. Rather it was about how my investigation was handled. My confidentiality was breached and thus was terminated out of fear of retaliation on the ex-employees part. If the ex-employee had not found out, I know I wouldn't have been terminated. Yet, the employee who disclosed private info still has a job even though by doing this, he broke the code as well.

P.S. It wasn't that they "got" it, rather I was the only one who didn't lie when confronted about it. I guess honesty isn't the best policy.

las365

it was about how my investigation was handled. My confidentiality was breached and thus was terminated out of fear of retaliation on the ex-employees part. If the ex-employee had not found out, I know I wouldn't have been terminated. Yet, the employee who disclosed private info still has a job even though by doing this, he broke the code as well.

P.S. It wasn't that they "got" it, rather I was the only one who didn't lie when confronted about it. I guess honesty isn't the best policy.
The definition of wrongful termination is very narrow and doesn't include the circumstances you describe. This seems to fall into the possibly unfair but definitely not illegal category.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">