• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Doing Mom's will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lasater2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Oklahoma

My parents were divorced in 1990, we thought. Now I am trying to get Mom's affairs in order and find out the divorce decree was never filed, so that means not divorced, correct? My dad re-married, twice, but Mom never did. What documents do I need to make sure there are no loopholes or problems when I go to file her will with the court?

Well, this sounds like a legal nightmare. First of all...seeing as your father never LEGALLY divorced your mother...and has "re-married" twice..those marriages are not legal and he could be considered a bigamist.

You didn't specify whether your mom was still alive...so if she is, there are a lot of things to hammer out. The assets she is putting in the will may also belong to your father (depending on the marital law in your state)...so you need to inquire about that. They need to have a legalized divorce so as to avoid any more legal confusion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">