• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

job moved to another city

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Neblay

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I work as an exempt assistant to a Region Manager for a large corporation. I also manage a team of employees. A new Region Manager was recently named who decided to keep his office in another city in our region, approximately 30 miles from the location where I have worked with 2 previous managers. Without discussing with me whether I wanted to move my office to the new location, my position was posted as an open position, and when I inquired I was told that by law if a job is moved more than 30 miles it has to be posted, and I would have to apply for my own job!

Is this correct? When I objected they took the posting down, and I am now in my same position in the new location, but I'm very bothered at the way it was handled. What are the parameters for posting an existing job, especially one that is filled?

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no such law. However, there is also no law prohibiting them from posting the job, whether you are currently in it or not. As far as private employers are concerned, with the possible exception of government contractors, there are no laws directly addressing job postings at all. It is entirely up to the employer whether to post jobs, when, which ones, and whether or not to require employees to re-apply for their own jobs in a relocation situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">