• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bus stop parking violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brick city man

I live in a high-rise apartment complex in Newark, NJ, where we can park on the street. Although the street has three stops for buses for its residents, the bus signs themselves don't say we can't park there. And conventionally, parking on the street in this neighborhood is always bumper to bumper. No space is left unparked, except for in between fire hydrants. But on this Sunday 2/15/09, I came upon my parked car with a ticket on it stating I committed a parking offense of ordinance code number 23:5-1. For visualization purposes, I was parked two car-lengths away from the first bus stop.

When I look at the Newark City Ordinance for this number, it says "No Parking At All Times". However, us residents use this street for parking all the time. Plus, I've never gotten a ticket before for parking in that same spot. Do I have a case for fighting this ticket? Additionally, I don't know if this matters but the officer did not sign nor put his ID number on the ticket.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in a high-rise apartment complex in Newark, NJ, where we can park on the street. Although the street has three stops for buses for its residents, the bus signs themselves don't say we can't park there. And conventionally, parking on the street in this neighborhood is always bumper to bumper. No space is left unparked, except for in between fire hydrants. But on this Sunday 2/15/09, I came upon my parked car with a ticket on it stating I committed a parking offense of ordinance code number 23:5-1. For visualization purposes, I was parked two car-lengths away from the first bus stop.

When I look at the Newark City Ordinance for this number, it says "No Parking At All Times". However, us residents use this street for parking all the time. Plus, I've never gotten a ticket before for parking in that same spot. Do I have a case for fighting this ticket? Additionally, I don't know if this matters but the officer did not sign nor put his ID number on the ticket.
So, your defense is that you never got a ticket for it before? Or is it that Billy didn't get in trouble, why should you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">