• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Terry35

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My husband brought a drink called fuzzy naval home and I drank it, and I pour pineapple juice in the empty bottle and took it to work to have with my lunch the next day, I didnt know that the label states that it had 4% alcohol in it. My manager saw the empy bottle on my desk and questioned me abt it, I told her I drank it in my car in the parking lot and I had the empty bottle on my desk to put water in it on my next break. She took me to the director, who she's gonna escalate it to the HR dept and that I should go home as I was drinking alcohol on the job and to come back on monday, when they would make a final decision.

My question is did I break any laws here at work? I wasnt drinking anything at my desk, I just had the empty bottle there to fill with water, there was no alcohol in the bottle, as I had poured pineapple juice in it when I took it to work and I drank it in my car in the car parking lot?

Hot Topic

I seriously doubt that you didn't know that Fuzzy Navel contains alcohol before you looked at the label. If you filled the empty bottle with pineapple juice to drink the next day with your lunch, why did you tell the manager that you drank it in your car and were going to fill the empty bottle with water on your break? No mugs or styrofoam cups in the kitchen? Why would you have your lunch in your car?

Too many holes in your story. I don't know how alcohol affects you, but you better hope that none of the other employees noticed anything "odd" about your behavior.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Did you break a law? No, there is no law that says you cannot drink alcohol at work or have a bottle declaring that there is alcohol in it on your desk.

Did you commit a firing offense? Is it legal for them to fire you for this? Yes to both. Nothing says you have to break a law before you can legally be fired.

Hot Topic

There may not be a Federal, state or city law that you can't drink alcohol at work; however, the company you work for can prohibit employees from having alcohol on the premises. People at my office were told by their manager to get rid of tiny filled bottles of various types of alcohol that they kept on top of their cubicles. The bottles were novelty items because of their size, and knowing those people as I do, there's no way they would have sampled them, but the manager had the right to have them removed.

Your story lacks credibility. If you were fired, the company had the right to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">