• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rawshog

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My mothers living trust made my sister and I co-trustees and co-beneficiaries of her trust. Now that she has passed away I have a couple of questions.
She had no insurance, savings etc. So I ahd to pay her funeral expenses with my credit card. Her used car is worth about what the funeral expenses came to. Can I take the car in trade? And if so, how do I proceed. A simple DMV transfer? Or is there something else that needs to be done?

garrula lingua

My condolences for the loss of your Mom.

I doubt if the car was within the trust (the registration would be in the name of the trust, such as 'The O'Bien Family Trust', etc).

Only those things which are titled in the name of the trust are part of the trust - usually real property and bank accounts.

Thankfully, California does have a form to transfer title on a vehicle without having to go through probate:
http://dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg5.pdf

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">