• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claim of Lien notice for automobile in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

ngeller

I sold a car in 1996 to a private individual for $50.00
The car was a 1986 Nissan Pulsar which was not running and needed much work. The title was signed over to the individual.
The other day, I received a certified notice in the mail from a towing company stating they were holding this car on their lot and I was the last registered owner (by Fla DMV records) and they were asking me to pay in excess of $265.00 in fees for picking up the car and holding it. The notice said the car would be sold at auction in 35 days and the proceeds would be dispersed by the clerk of the court to cover all fees (Let them). When I called the towing agency and told them I sold the car 5 years ago and I was not the owner, they said I was the person on record in Fla and I am responsible. If I didn't pay they would turn me over to a collection agency.
What can I do? I sold the car 5 years ago and if the person did not register it, what can I do? I do not have the bill of sale (from 5 years ago). Am I legally responsible now?
Can they get a collection agency against me? The Fla statute 713.78 says nothing about if I don't pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">