• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Layoff after major move

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Steven Charles

In Washington state, I worked for my company for 3 years as a manager when they moved to a new location far from other possible jobs opportunities. All employees were asked to move with them , if interested. I sold my house and bought a new one at the new site 85 miles away. 80 days later there was a layoff with no notice. I was given normal severance. I have been unemployed for four months as there are no similar jobs within this area. I cannot even recover moving expenses because the IRS says I need to work for the company for 39 weeks after move. Is there any action I can take to recover losses from my former employer?
Thank you.

D

dj1

I doubt it, you made a choice given all the information, we ASSUME you are NOT a high school dropout, or retarded, so you just made a very very bad decesion.

Now maybe you should sell all your stuff on http://www.ebay.com raise cash and move.

But what the heck your this far in debt spend a few bucks more and a labor lawyer tomorrow, and put the house up for sale.

Just wondering you KNEW they were moving to the boondocks WHY did you move there?

S

Steven Charles

I didn't state it in the original post, but I am about 6 years away from retirement and the area that the company moved to was one we had been considering when the time came. Right now, I am still trying to find a similar position even if I have to commute 60+ miles. I now know it wasn't a wise decision, but there was a lot going for making the move- location, company, short drive to work...I truely believed the company was in a far better financial position than it was. Thanks for you reply, and I will most likely pay a laywer for an hour of his time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">