• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be in trouble here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OverlyConcerned

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I recently found out that a massage parlor I visited ( in june '08) was busted by the police in September of '08 for prostitution. I knew that this activity likely took place there but I went there anyway to get a sensual massage from an attractive woman. I paid 40 dollars for a half hour massage. The half hour was great but felt like it lasted 10 minutes so I asked her how much longer I could get for 60 dollars. She said 45 minutes and I agreed. However, the 45 minutes was more like 20 minutes and I left angrily feeling like I had been robbed. In the article in the local paper in January '09 about the pretrial that had just wrapped up, an undercover agent testified that he had gone there ten times and had been solicited for sex every time (which I was not). He also said that it cost him $60 to get in the door and a $100 tip was negotiated for sex later on. He said he declined the sexual activity every time. I am concerned for my privacy because I used my credit card at this parlor and therefore I left a paper trial. The police seized the credit card records and machine and likely asked for credit card records of patrons from the credit card companies (based on similar cases I have investigated on the Internet) If the police are stating that this place is a house of prostitution and I am able to be traced there, can the record of me being there be made public? Could the local newspapers publish this information? Could I in any way be prosecuted for this since I made two separate payments for massages (with the second possibly looking like a payment for sex to the police) with my credit card? Would it not be slander or libel to make public my name for visiting this place even though I engaged in NO illegal activity?

The Occultist

I don't think you have much to worry about. Sure, you have have used a credit card which means paper trail, but your payment amounts are lower than the figures the newspaper quoted. If it turns out you are arraigned over this, you should definitely seek an attorney.

Would it not be slander or libel to make public my name for visiting this place even though I engaged in NO illegal activity?
No, for something to be defamatory, it must be knowingly false.

OverlyConcerned

does arraigned mean my info is public?

Thank you for the prompt response Occultist. Do you think that I am in the clear since 8 months have passed since I have been there and the pretrial litigation is over?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">