• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination, Pregnant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tlg_1979

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I am 8 months pregnant with twins and was due to go out on bed rest in two weeks. Before I was able to go out on bed rest the company did a mass layoff on 2/9 and my position was impacted.

I am in the IT field and others in my department were laid off as well. However, I really feel the decision on my job was based solely on the fact that I was going out on an extended (bed rest + delivery) leave in a few weeks.
When I had my meeting with HR and my direct manager, I made the statement that I thought they chose my position to be laid off instead of some of my co-workers because I was pregnant. My manger, of course, said it was not due to that fact and that it was instead based on the fact that they were "trying to protect the integrity of critical applications". I then pointed out the fact that I am the lead developer on more than half of my teams critical applications and the person I was transitioning to, in anticipation of my leave, only owns 1 critical application and she kept her job. I also pointed out that the other employee that kept his job also leads less applications than I do, he leads 4. Needless to say, he did not say anything after than.

The company is paying for my short term disability since I was place on an early bed rest and they have postponed my "separation" date until after I return from leave.

I was wondering if this is enough to pursue a case for wrongful termination due to the circumstances that I owned more than half of our applications and most of the knowledge for our suite of applications and yet I was chosen for the layoff and some of my co-workers were not.

Any help is appreciated thank you.

Beth3

If you feel your pregnancy was a factor in their decision, you're free to file a complaint with your State's equal rights division or the federal EEOC.

tlg_1979

Sorry, the questions were asking two different things. The first question asked specifically about the fmla leave, the second question was asking about pursuing a lawsuit for wrongful termination. I didn't think I was limited to asking one question about a situation but apparently I have offended someone.

Thank you to the respondent that has offered advice and not a rude remark.

ecmst12

You can ask as many questions about your situation as you'd like, but it's best to keep them all in the same thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">