• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued

• Thread starter chrissywagner43
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chrissywagner43

my husband broke a mans jaw during an altercation,we are now being sued,we are not really sure what steps to take to protect ourselfs,also, should we counter sue?

JETX

You can't countersue unless you have a reason to do so. Since your post doesn't give any justification or details about the 'fight' (assumed), we can't determine the need for counter-action.

Also, if you have a valid defense to causing the injury, then you might want to hire an attorney to represent you (this also depends on the amount being sued for). If the suit is for $200, and there is no defense, I probably wouldn't hire an attorney and would try to negotiate a settlement. If the lawsuit is for $25,000 and includes pain and suffering, etc., I would certainly obtain appropriate legal counsel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">