• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hiring Laid off employees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lb8983

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca

I was laid off on 12/8/08 after being with the company for 3 years, along with an employee who had been with the company for only 8 months due to the economy. She has been hired back but i was never contacted. There is no reason for them not to want me as an employee. I had never been written up and was constantly nominated for awards. Is there any kind of process regarding senority in hiring back laid off employees?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca

I was laid off on 12/8/08 after being with the company for 3 years, along with an employee who had been with the company for only 8 months due to the economy. She has been hired back but i was never contacted. There is no reason for them not to want me as an employee. I had never been written up and was constantly nominated for awards. Is there any kind of process regarding senority in hiring back laid off employees?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: there is no process.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is, in fact, no requirement that laid off employees be rehired at all, let alone on a seniority basis.

Have you contacted the company and let them know you are interested?

lb8983

I have showed my interest but they have also found out that I am pregnant and I believe that is the only reason they would of called the other employee over me..thanks for the help...

Beth3

Or maybe the less senior employee was cheaper. Or maybe the work they had available was bettter suited to someone with different or less experience than you have. Or maybe any number of other possible reasons.

We don't know anything about the job you had, your experience, the job the other person had, his/her experience, what job(s) they are hiring back for, etc.

JETX

I have showed my interest but they have also found out that I am pregnant and I believe that is the only reason they would of called the other employee over me.
There are literally hundreds of reasons why they might have chosen the other instead of you.... that have nothing to do with your being pregnant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">