• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does having a POA obligate us for debts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CLHandrick

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

We have been estranged from my mother-in-law for over 20 years. She remarried 15 years ago and purchased a mobile home in a retirement park in Prescott, AZ with her husband. For reasons unknown to us, the mobile home is titled in my mother-in-law's name only, and she is now in an Alzheimer's facility in Peoria, AZ. My husband is the only child, there are no other relatives capable of helping out, so he got Power of Attorney in order to make decisions on her behalf. We have now been advised by the park that her husband has moved out of state and that because we have Power of Attorney, we are responsible for either moving the mobile home or paying the monthly space rent. Financially we're unable to do either. Arizona is a community property state, and legally the home belongs to her husband. Does having Power of Attorney obligate us in any way? Our name is not on the mobile home or the park lease, nor is it on any bank accounts that she has.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BlondiePB

Does having Power of Attorney obligate us in any way? Our name is not on the mobile home or the park lease, nor is it on any bank accounts that she has.
No. Tell them to bite rocks! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">