• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Tabs - Car towed by police

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nickk016

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I live in Minneapolis and always park my car on the street in front of my house. Today (2/17) my car was towed by the city for expired tabs. I have paperwork to show that I paid for tabs last August and they therefore do not expire until 8/09. I know I put the tabs on the vehicle.

My assumption is that they were stolen. I understand the need for the police to issue me a ticket. I will pay the process fees to get the tabs reprinted. I'll take the ticket to court and hopefully have it dismissed.

Do I have any case against the city to pay for the towing of my vehicle? I had no outstanding tickets and I find it unreasonable for it needing to be towed. If it was 24 hours after I had received a ticket I would find that reasonable. My car was outside my house without a ticket at 9am and by 5pm the vehicle was gone. I think a ticket would have been reasonable but a towing is not. For example, if you get pulled over for expired tabs, the police does not cease your car. In my example, I see no reason for it to be towed.

Also, can the police search in their computers to see if I had paid for tabs? If so, that would be another reason to avoid having my car towed.

Do I have a case to have the city pay for the towing of the car?

Thanks,

The Occultist

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I live in Minneapolis and always park my car on the street in front of my house. Today (2/17) my car was towed by the city for expired tabs. I have paperwork to show that I paid for tabs last August and they therefore do not expire until 8/09. I know I put the tabs on the vehicle.
Highly unfortunate.

My assumption is that they were stolen. I understand the need for the police to issue me a ticket. I will pay the process fees to get the tabs reprinted. I'll take the ticket to court and hopefully have it dismissed.
Bringing in proof that your tabs were not expired as well as showing that you are now fully in compliance of the law should certainly bring you some form of leniency. It could be the outright dismissal you are hoping for, but do realize that it may just simply be a reduction in your fine.

Do I have any case against the city to pay for the towing of my vehicle? I had no outstanding tickets and I find it unreasonable for it needing to be towed. If it was 24 hours after I had received a ticket I would find that reasonable. My car was outside my house without a ticket at 9am and by 5pm the vehicle was gone. I think a ticket would have been reasonable but a towing is not. For example, if you get pulled over for expired tabs, the police does not cease your car. In my example, I see no reason for it to be towed.
Unfortunately, what you find "reasonable" bears no relevancy to the law. If your vehicle is on the street, or even in your driveway, it must bear proper tags or it may be towed. Could the officer have chosen to simply give you a ticket? Sure. Do note, however, that the officer was perfectly within his rights to have the vehicle towed.

Also, can the police search in their computers to see if I had paid for tabs? If so, that would be another reason to avoid having my car towed.
It's possible, but this is not relevant to your situation. The vehicle code states that on top of your registration being current, your tags must also be affixed properly to your vehicle, which they were not.

Do I have a case to have the city pay for the towing of the car?
It doesn't hurt to ask, but keep in mind that they were within their rights to tow you. The best thing you can do is sit down with a local attorney to see what he thinks. Local attorneys know best what the courts want to hear, and as such present the highest potential for yielding the most favorable results. Many attorneys will offer free/cheap consultations, so you should take advantage and sit down with a couple to see what insight they may have to offer.

Anytime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">