• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I fire her or wait?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stellita3

I am a small business owner with 5 employees. I schedule meetings and put them on the schedule.They are paid. I scheduled a meeting and an employee no called/no showed. her next shift she covered with another employee I wasn't able to address the no show. We had a special event that all employees were scheduled she worked her Saturday shift but Sunday she again no showed/no call. She texted another employee to find out if I was angry & was I going to fire her? But never called me until that night she texted me an apology. I texted her to talk to me in person. Tomorrow is pay day and when she comes in to pick up her check I want to adress this. I want to fire her but also want to be fair since I know she is having issues in her home life. I was thinking of telling her she is on final written warning and all shift changes would have to have my permission and that 1 more no show and it would be immediate termination or if she preferred I would accept her resignation. what should I do ?I am in California.

pattytx

The warnings action might save you being charged for UI when you finally do fire here (because it sounds like that's coming).

Beth3

Up to you. There have been two no show/no call occurrances. She may be having problems at home but I expect this is having a pretty significant impact in the workplace, given how small your business is.

If you decide to give her a final warning, put it in writing and give her a copy. It should list the two no call/no show situations that have taken place and state that if she is absent again without contacting you timely to report her absence or changes shifts without your approval, she will be terminated.

I agree a termination is coming. Giving her this warning might prevent her from receiving UC benefits when that time comes.

I want to fire her but also want to be fair since I know she is having issues in her home life. How fair is she being to you??? It's just not that damn hard to call or send an email saying she isn't able to come to work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">