• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ak23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

A few nights ago I had visited a pub on school campus with a large group of friends. We had all consumed high levels of alchohol (aside from 2 designated drivers) and left the pub around 1AM. We (about 10 of us) then headed to the parking lot where the designated drivers had parked their cars. Everyone was smoking cigarettes and some were sitting in the 2 cars. Since I do not smoke I got in a car that was already occupied by some friends. I sat in the drivers seat (only available spot), my friend (Friend A) was in the passenger seat and two acquiantances were in the back [car was turned off and parked so no DUI issue at all]. Shortly after I got in the vehicle, Friend A reached in his pockets for his phone and pulled out a large sum of money ($4000) which he was planning to deposit at the bank the next day. He momentarily passed it to me as I am assuming his hands were full. Because it was 4K$ & we were drunk, I held it up for everyone in the car to see and laugh about. This means everyone in the car was aware of the money. The money was in my possession for maybe 5 seconds total, as I then placed it in the cupholder next to Friend A and his other possessions. I assumed Friend A had seen me do this because he was sitting right next to me. About 10 minutes later we got out of the car to get some fresh air and join the other 6 friends who were talking outside. Friend A then decided to go smoke marijuana with another acquiantance in the corner of the parking lot. Everyone saw this and I did not smoke anything but I was very drunk along with the majority of the group. When Friend A returned, he realized he did not have the money in his possession. He asked me if I had the money and I told him I placed it next to him and his other items in the car. We checked the car and it was not there, I also emptied all of my pockets several times to assure myself and my friend that I did not accidentally hold on to it. The car was always unlocked, several people went in and out of the car after we got out and the money's existence was known to many. Friend A did not inquire about the moneys location prior to or after we initially got out of the car so I am assumning he either forgot about the money momentarily or took it with him and lost it while outside of the car. Since the money did not belong to me I was not conscience of keeping track of it and approximately 20 minutes had passed since he handed me the money and then realized it was missing. I am unsure if I am legally liable for this money because I placed the money next to him prior to exiting the vehicle, we were all very drunk, Friend A was also under the influence of drugs, we left the vehicle at the same time and several people knew the money was in the car. Any advice would be appreciated.

ak23

An additional side note is that the car did not belong to Friend A or the 2 acquaintances in the back, the owner of the vehicle was standing next to the vehicle smoking a cigarette with the other smoker friends.

ak23

Slight Confusion

i apologize. i figured this case would be relevant to US Law as it deals with the basic principal of accountability. however, any general comments would be greatly appreciated, even if they are only applicable to American legislation.

Just Blue

i apologize. i figured this case would be relevant to US Law as it deals with the basic principal of accountability. however, any general comments would be greatly appreciated, even if they are only applicable to American legislation.
We don't advise on out of country issues. We will give advice to a specific STATE. You need to google a site for whatever country you are from and have them advise you. The laws of other country's and the US are not the same...at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">