• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How would this property be divided

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P Lo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I am asking this question on behalf of my wife and her brother. They each contributed around 20% - 25% to the purchase of their mother and step-father's house, by paying the mortgage payments, however they generally made cash payments to their mother so there is no record. The house is now clear of encumberances, but I do not know if the title is WROS or just tenants in common. I do know that it includes only the names of my wife's mother and step-father. The house is the only property of any real value held by the couple and it has appreciated tremendously (even with the recent downturn). At the time of the purchase, the step-father was estranged from his only son and it was everyone's belief that the house would decend entirely upon my wife and her brother. Subsequently the step-father and step-brother have reconciled and now there is concern the step-father may will his entire share to his natural son. My wife and her brother are further concerned that he may survive their mother, thus being able to claim full ownership over the house.

So my questions are:

1. If their mother executes a will naming them as sole beneficiaries does that impact a WROS title?

2. If the title is in common, and their mother executes such a will, what share will they be left with assuming the step-father survives their mother?

3. If their step-father will agree to it, will they end up with full ownership if they were to transfer the title to all (four) of their names WROS?

curb1

This statement, "They each contributed around 20% - 25% to the purchase of their mother and step-father's house, by paying the mortgage payments, however they generally made cash payments to their mother so there is no record." has no meaning except if while they are alive they willingly reimburse for these payments. How is the communication between all parties? Does everyone get along? I sense that the answer is "no". Whatever happens, planning before anyone dies is extremely important. It will turn into a real mess after one party dies. The first thing that needs to be done is to find out exactly how the property is titled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">