• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jwill07

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Hello in November I was fired from my job. As of recent I am going to apply to a government position and is hesitant about stating that I was fired. I just want to either state that I was laid off or relocated. Now how if possible could it be determined on the Govt/employers part to actually find out? I heard jobs are not allowed or supposed to share that information, just your dates of employments.

Thanks for the help

ecmst12

Lying on a job application or in an interview is always, ALWAYS a bad idea. ESPECIALLY to the government!

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Hello in November I was fired from my job. As of recent I am going to apply to a government position and is hesitant about stating that I was fired. I just want to either state that I was laid off or relocated. Now how if possible could it be determined on the Govt/employers part to actually find out? I heard jobs are not allowed or supposed to share that information, just your dates of employments.

Thanks for the help
**A: one call to your employer would be how.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I heard jobs are not allowed or supposed to share that information, just your dates of employments.

No truth to that whatsoever. Despite the frightening number of people who mistakenly believe that to be a law, it is, rather, a myth.

Employers may share any information that is true, that they have a good faith belief is true, or their honest and supportable opinion. There is NOTHING in the law of any state that prohibits them from giving the true reason an employee left the job, including not only that the employee was fired, but the reason they were fired.

So I wouldn't be lying to any prospective employer about the way I left my old job. Too easy to check, and don't think the government won't.

Many employers will forgive a single mistake. Few if any will forgive being lied to.

jwill07

please hold back your ridiculous comments, yes I have 2 threads, one dealing with being fired and one ealing with a DUI....if you read thoroughly you would have seen that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
so you are saying a job can disclose why you are not employed with them anymore???

Yes, I am saying that your former employer CAN, QUITE LEGALLY disclose IN LURID DETAIL PRECISELY why you are not employed with them any more.

Are we quite clear on this point now?

Not only that, but in some cases, the government will ask if you had quit under circumstances that would've resulted in termination, or quit before you could be fired. And you better believe that they're going to check on this - and if they find out you lied, your chances for employment will go down the drain.

I have met people who admitted to using drugs or shoplifting get a high-level clearance in the government. I have never met anyone who was caught lying on their application and still employed with the government.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">