• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my real options??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redcobrar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California, Los Angeles County

Hi,

I was issued a citation because my registration was expired.

Well, two things happened after I was issued the ticket:

1. I moved to the state of Pennsylvania. 2. I did not show up at the courthouse in California which caused my overall ticket to climb to 800 dollars plus a hold is now on my license.

So what are my options at this point? I can only think of one option which is to pay 800 bucks; however, I don't have 800 dollars at the moment.

The court house just told me that either I pay right now which they could take off 300 hundred from the 800 or my ticket will just go to collections and I will haft to pay the full 800. Also, I live 3000 miles away, are the courts able to transfer cases state to state on citations?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California, Los Angeles County

Hi,

I was issued a citation because my registration was expired.

Well, two things happened after I was issued the ticket:

1. I moved to the state of Pennsylvania. 2. I did not show up at the courthouse in California which caused my overall ticket to climb to 800 dollars plus a hold is now on my license.

So what are my options at this point? I can only think of one option which is to pay 800 bucks; however, I don't have 800 dollars at the moment.

The court house just told me that either I pay right now which they could take off 300 hundred from the 800 or my ticket will just go to collections and I will haft to pay the full 800. Also, I live 3000 miles away, are the courts able to transfer cases state to state on citations?
Pay the $500
Or, deal with the collection agency!

CdwJava

Transfer? No.

You can always pay a couple times that amount and hire an attorney to handle it. But, you'd almost certainly have to return at least once.

- Carl

redcobrar

Wow, thanks for the fast reply! One more, how do I handle a ticket that is in collections? I mean, should I just deal with it myself or are there agency's that help deal with this for you? Can I find any loopholes to reduce all the added fines once it has been sent to collections?

Antigone*

Wow, thanks for the fast reply! One more, how do I handle a ticket that is in collections? I mean, should I just deal with it myself or are there agency's that help deal with this for you? Can I find any loopholes to reduce all the added fines once it has been sent to collections?

No loopholes...pay the ticket as requested. :eek::eek::eek:

Sorry...it's not like cable... there are no bundle packages for paying tickets.

The Occultist

Have you asked the court of they're willing to accept some sort of payment plan?

If they're not, then you're simply going to have to do whatever it takes, including borrowing money from friends/family, to pay off that $500 in order to make sure you don't put yourself into an even worse situation.

redcobrar

I have an idea. I'm able to get a court date to see the judge however I'm NOT able to travel to California to attend my court date.

All the court wants to see is if I fixed my registration. Will the court except my paper work if I mail it?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have an idea. I'm able to get a court date to see the judge however I'm NOT able to travel to California to attend my court date.

All the court wants to see is if I fixed my registration. Will the court except my paper work if I mail it?
What did the court say when you asked them?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">