• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

40,000 dollar BOND....REALLY!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladyrichardson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

My husband has had continuous issues for Driving while suspended, normally he gets a lawyer and ends up getting community service and probation, which he is normally really good about completing. Last month was a rough month and he totally forgot about it, so the probation folks reported it thus they put out a warrant. He then gets pulled over, they take him to jail and give him a 40,000 10% cash bond, (cause we just have 4k sitting around), basically saying he violated his probation and it's on 2 different cases that he was serving the same probation for. They go on to say that he can get out for 4,000 cash or wait in jail for a court date, well when will the court date be you ask, they tell us whenever they get around to setting it. So now he has lost his job and so on, and still no one can tell us when he will even get a court date, doesn't this seem a little excesive? He is in the county jail with murders for driving....granted he should not have been driving, but the guy has never had a wreckless driving charge, normally pulled over for something stupid like tail light out. It seems insane! Any advice would help!

Last edited:

cyjeff

Apparently, the court is trying to teach an habitual offender a life lesson.

They are sick of seeing him disregard the law.

You make it sound so silly... he drives without a license, he picks up some trash, he does it again....

I am guessing that he is REALLY going to hate court.

Antigone*

My husband has had continuous issues for Driving while suspended, normally he gets a lawyer and ends up getting community service and probation, which he is normally really good about completing. Last month was a rough month and he totally forgot about it, so the probation folks reported it thus they put out a warrant. He then gets pulled over, they take him to jail and give him a 40,000 10% cash bond, (cause we just have 4k sitting around), basically saying he violated his probation and it's on 2 different cases that he was serving the same probation for. They go on to say that he can get out for 4,000 cash or wait in jail for a court date, well when will the court date be you ask, they tell us whenever they get around to setting it. So now he has lost his job and so on, and still no one can tell us when he will even get a court date, doesn't this seem a little excesive? He is in the county jail with murders for driving....granted he should not have been driving, but the guy has never had a wreckless driving charge, normally pulled over for something stupid like tail light out. It seems insane! Any advice would help!
OMG LadyRichardson you are so right it is totally insane. I cannot freakin agree with you more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​

In fact you know the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

You are so right sweetheart...your husband is completely insane. My advice to you is put a little money on hubby's books and tell him to beware of Bubba.

>Charlotte<

Lurker

What you're experiencing is "The System" at work.

1. How many chances did he get?
2. How bad was losing his job?
3. How tough is it to come up with $4k?
4. How does he like sitting in jail?
5. How much harder is this than community service?
6. What are the chances he'll keep pushing his luck after this is all over?

You're right, it does seem insane that someone has to push it that far before he finally gets the message, but better sooner than later.

ShawnL

Lesson Learned

Apparently he didn't learn his lesson the first few times.
This is the judge getting strict on him. He wants him to
sit in there and think about what he's done, rather than
getting out easy and keep on doing what he's been doing.

ladyrichardson

$40,000.....Really

Ok, I guess I should have seen those coming. It just strikes me as odd because for one this started from a ticket that didn't get taken care of because he was out to sea in the Navy. It snowballed and just has been snowballing ever since. He had to get to back and forth to work, so how would you guys suggest that happen? He never drives wrecklessly , no DUI's, DWI's, nothing like that. The judge himself said his record was not bad.....so if you guys needed to get to work and had no other way and had your kids at home that had to be fed what would you do? Don't say a cab cause the job doesn't pay enough for that...lol. Whilest I totally understand him getting into trouble I don't care what anyone says 40,000 dollars is way to much for such a simple charge. Not when there are drug dealers in there with 2,000 bonds, and DUI, and DWI offenders getting off by paying $300 that to me is insane. Oh well I guess I was just wanting some advice, and got nothing here but criticism. Thanks!

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Oh well I guess I was just wanting some advice, and got nothing here but criticism. Thanks!
Well, sorry, but sometimes criticism is called for. He had a choice, he made it, and now you're bitching about how unfair it is?? If you break the law and get caught, you have to deal with the consequences. He chose to break the law. He got caught. It's pretty simple math.

My non-critical advice is: construct a giant, super-colossal magnet. Fling it into space and reverse the Earth's rotation. Manipulate the time and space continuum until we are back at the morning of the day in question. When your husband says "You know what? I'm going to drive today. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?" point out that even though he's desperate, he's certainly not going to be bringing home any bacon while he's in the pokey and it will, in fact, end up costing you more money that you don't have. Watch him do it anyway.

ladyrichardson

Shhhhh

LOL....you people crack me up! First off it is VERY WELL understood that he broke the law, I NEVER ONCE said that he should not be penalized for that, he also understands that.....the question was..... if you illiterate people would just READ was if 40K seened like a fair bond amount for a driving while suspended charge. I mean the man who just got caught for screwing his daughter got a 28K bond, so WTF! Trust me I am very well educated, just thought there would be some actual lawyers or paralegals on here that would know what the hell they are talking as to the AMOUNT of the bond! I didn't Bitch about anything, I just said it seemed EXTREME...you need to READ before you start talking ****! You would think I had said "oh I don't think he should have went to jail", he damn well shoulda went cause he broke the law...I know that. Thanks a bunch for your sarcastic ass comments though.....

Just Blue

I bet you money I am smarter than you on my worst day!
I highly doubt that. If you were "smarter" than anyone of the VOLUNTEERS that assisted you, you would have known to looked up the information on your state's criminal website. You would have researched the statute, punishment and case law. You didn't.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
What I said, genius, is that the punishment is what it is, and if he or you think it's too harsh he can avoid it by not being stupid enough to drive. Oops, too late for that. What difference does it make if we agree the bond is too high? What are you going to do? Walk into court and tell the judge that CLT747 from FreeAdvice thinks the bond is too high?

And someone who writes like you do has no business calling anybody else "illiterate". Very well educated? I hope you kept your diploma in case you ever have to prove that.

cyjeff

Ok, I guess I should have seen those coming. It just strikes me as odd because for one this started from a ticket that didn't get taken care of because he was out to sea in the Navy. It snowballed and just has been snowballing ever since. He had to get to back and forth to work, so how would you guys suggest that happen? He never drives wrecklessly , no DUI's, DWI's, nothing like that. The judge himself said his record was not bad.....so if you guys needed to get to work and had no other way and had your kids at home that had to be fed what would you do?
I would take care of my tickets so that I didn't get stuck sitting in jail.... and miss going to work....and not have to explain to my kids why daddy was in jail....

Don't say a cab cause the job doesn't pay enough for that...lol. Whilest I totally understand him getting into trouble I don't care what anyone says 40,000 dollars is way to much for such a simple charge.
I agree.

However, you don't seem to understand that I wasn't being snarky.

The judge is sending him a clear MESSAGE. That this behavior WILL NOT BE TOLERATED in the future.

Not when there are drug dealers in there with 2,000 bonds, and DUI, and DWI offenders getting off by paying $300 that to me is insane. Oh well I guess I was just wanting some advice, and got nothing here but criticism. Thanks!
Oh, so it is the "every body else does stuff SOOO much worse than I do that I shouldn't be prosecuted" defense?

That doesn't work very well.

W

Willlyjo

LOL....you people crack me up! First off it is VERY WELL understood that he broke the law, I NEVER ONCE said that he should not be penalized for that, he also understands that.....the question was..... if you illiterate people would just READ was if 40K seened like a fair bond amount for a driving while suspended charge. I mean the man who just got caught for screwing his daughter got a 28K bond, so WTF! Trust me I am very well educated, just thought there would be some actual lawyers or paralegals on here that would know what the hell they are talking as to the AMOUNT of the bond! I didn't Bitch about anything, I just said it seemed EXTREME...you need to READ before you start talking ****! You would think I had said "oh I don't think he should have went to jail", he damn well shoulda went cause he broke the law...I know that. Thanks a bunch for your sarcastic ass comments though.....
Yeh...I agree with you about some of these people in this forum. They are just trying to outdo each other intelligently which isn't intelligent at all. I totally agree that a 40,000.00 bond is insane. There must be a way to find out how they arrived at that figure. I don't believe they can arbitrarily just impose such a high figure for such a minute wrongdoing as that of "Driving with a suspended liscense".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">