• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do staffing agencies give people second chances?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

linuxguy0481

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

I got laid off in December of last year. Kraftmaid closed down a huge location here in Utah. They closed down two days before Christmas. Let's just say it was one of the hardest holidays seasons I have had. I have with have been about five staffing agencies in my past. I am 27 years old now. But when I was younger I have done stupid stuff. Their have been a few times I walked out of a job because I hated the job and the staffing agency could not find me another job.
I realized my stupid stupid mistakes I have done in my past. The Kraftmaid job I was at my job for two years.

Now I call up the old staffing agencies and a few of them will not accept me due to my past mistakes. Will they be able to give me a second chance or I'm I fighting a losing battle? I hope I can get a second chance with a few of these staffing agencies. Hope someone can help answer this question.

Linuxguy0481

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It depends entirely on the staffing agency. There is no one size fits all answer.

Hot Topic

Your problem is that there are more people out of work than the agencies can place. They aren't going to give second chances to people who walked out on assignments, didn't show up for them, dressed inappropriately, etc., because they don't have to.

So here's the thing:

Between the U, the Y, Weber, and UVU, local staffing agencies have a pool of more than 100,000 college-aged kids, a good number of them with squeaky-clean records and absolutely no alcohol/drug use whatsoever.

Why would they give you a second chance when they could just take one of these over-qualified college students that will enthusiastically work for beans?

pattytx

So here's the thing:

Between the U, the Y, Weber, and UVU, local staffing agencies have a pool of more than 100,000 college-aged kids, a good number of them with squeaky-clean records and absolutely no alcohol/drug use whatsoever.

Why would they give you a second chance when they could just take one of these over-qualified college students that will enthusiastically work for beans?

Or the over-qualified "older" worker with a degree and 30+ years of experience? *sigh*

Or the over-qualified "older" worker with a degree and 30+ years of experience? *sigh*
Yes - but after living in Utah, you realize there's a market where college students and grads are actively out-competing each other to see who can work for less. Why? Maybe because so many of them have kids at a young age, and just need a job ASAP to start bringing dough in. They come to you and offer to work for X less than your ad stated if they can start immediately. That's why my general advice to friends who go to school these is to get out as soon as they can, or else they risk getting "sucked in." :D

Utah is a really weird bubble in the job market. And the southern (think Arches National Park) is like a different country than the northern (think Salt Lake).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">