• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IN, marajuana in my apartment, it's not mine it's my roomates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ITSME

Hi, I'm in such a mess. I moved out of my apartment Feb 1st because my roomate(also the father to my unborn baby) wouldn't quit having pot in our apartment. We signed a lease on Nov 30th of 2000, I signed with the belief that there would be no pot in our home, since I am now 5 months pregnant. Finally it got to be too much when he had his friends over all of the time bringing the pot in and smoking it, I moved all of my stuff out, because he has proved he won't quit having it in our home, and now he's telling me that his "lawyer" and he are going to sue me for all 12 months rent, since I left and am currently staying at my moms. I have never been in trouble with the law before, and he won't let me out of the lease, I have talked to my landlord who knows the marajuana is there and she said I can't get out of the lease unless he lets me out, and he won't. Also I need to know what will happen if I called the police and told them he had it there, I want to get evicted from the apartment so we only have to pay 500 a piece(it's just the 2 of us on the lease til Jan 2002). He is stubborn as to staying there til the lease is up then taking me to court for the rent money. I just don't know what I should be doing. I want to get him in trouble because frankly he needs to turn his life around for this baby that's due in July but I'm afraid of what will happen to me if I call the cops, and I wonder how long he'd be in jail because of it??? I know for a fact the he usually only has a sandwhich baggy a quarter of the way full in the apartment at any given time, and a pipe and a bong.
Anything you could tell me to help, would truly be very apppreciated!
Thank you so much.

HomeGuru

You knew that he was a pot head when you met him. What a nice father role model for the baby. How did you think he would go cold turkey by signing a lease? Consult an attorney and beat him to it. He did not get a lawyer yet as he was too stoned and forgot.

I

ITSME

I am reading here that when you post a reply you should be considerate, respectful and polite, none of these are what you were to me in your "helpful" reply. Thanks for nothing, I hope that in the future you can learn to be more sensitive when you are "attempting" to help someone who throws their story at the mercy of people like you. Or maybe you should just get another job.

I

ITSME

Okay homeGuru, but it's advice.
Thank you for your time.

M

momtl

ItsMe, You are obviously a very young woman. I sympathize with what you are going through for the sake of your unborn child. You will learn greatly from your mistakes. First off, there should be no question as to weather you should turn him in. The baby will not know that his Father was not there in the first year of his life unless you tell the child so. By doing so you may be giving the young man time to think and heal from the marijuana abuse. It's called "Tough Love".
However, you cannot change someone. They have to change themselves. It's called growing up.
Second, you should never have signed a lease with another person unless that person was your spouse. The lease should have been under your name alone or his alone. At which time you could have moved out or thrown him out without a fuss. I agree with your other response saying that you should contact a lawyer yourself. I'm sure your x said that he did so only to scare you. As said before, hopefully you will learn from this mistakes.
And Last, I do hope that you have learned from this experience I would hate to see that you would accept this person back into your life for the sake of the baby. He can be a Father to your child without being a part of your life. If he is a part of the childs life, I do hope that you have him paying support legally and that when he has his visitation it is written that NO drugs are to be used and or brought near the child. If he does not care to stop for your sake, he will not stop for the child either.
Best of luck to you and your child.

calatty

First of all, do not turn him in. It must be his decision to turn his life around, not yours, not the criminal justice system's. Saddling the father of your child with a criminal record for life is not a way to resolve your differences with him.
As far as the lease goes, even if you did break it, he is obligated to "mitigate damages." That means he must make reasonable efforts to get a new roommate in a reasonable amount of time. The worst that could happen to you is that you would be liable for a couple months of rent, and even that is very doubtful: if he takes you to small claims court for the rent, you can defend yourself by saying that you felt you had to move out because of the marijuana. The judge would find good cause for you to break the lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">