• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nurse laid off - questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peggy williams

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law

I am a nurse in Florida. On Feb. 13, 2009 I was told, with no advanced warning, that I was being "laid off".

I was told I would get two-weeks' severence pay, and that my health insurance plan would abruptly end only 2 weeks' later, as of February 28.

Both the job and the insurance are vitally important to me.

Both my physician employer and my office manager wrote and gave me positive letters of reference.

Is there a possibility of bringing a lawsuit in my situation?

Thank you.

mlane58

I am a nurse in Florida. On Feb. 13, 2009 I was told, with no advanced warning, that I was being "laid off".

I was told I would get two-weeks' severence pay, and that my health insurance plan would abruptly end only 2 weeks' later, as of February 28.

Both my physician employer and my office manager wrote and gave me positive letters of reference.

Is there a possibility of bringing a lawsuit in my situation?

Thank you.
Lawsuit for what? unless you had a bona fide contract or were part of a collective bargaining agreement that stated that you couldnm't be laid off, then you are an at-will employee and can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law (i.e. your race, gender, age, religion, etc...)

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I am a nurse in Florida. On Feb. 13, 2009 I was told, with no advanced warning, that I was being "laid off". I was told I would get two-weeks' severence pay, and that my health insurance plan would abruptly end only 2 weeks' later, as of February 28. Both the job and the insurance are vitally important to me. Both my physician employer and my office manager wrote and gave me positive letters of reference. Is there a possibility of bringing a lawsuit in my situation? Thank you.
They are not required to give you "advance warning". Do you know if you are qualified for COBRA?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
On the basis of your post, no, there is not even a remote possibility of a lawsuit.

What do you think was done that is illegal?

lealea1005

The economy is hitting everyone hard...even Physician employers. There is a severe nursing shortage in Florida. You should have no problem, with your positive letters of recommendation, getting another position. Good luck.

lealea1005

The economy is hitting everyone hard...even Physician employers. There is a severe nursing shortage in Florida. You should have no problem, with your positive letters of recommendation, getting another position. Good luck.

I also would like to know what you think they did that was illegal.

I believe people are under the false impression that they are automatically entitled to a WARN notice, without realizing that WARN only covers very specific circumstances - which explains why we've had so many RIFed employees demanding "Can they get away with this?!?!!?" over the last few weeks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">