• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hamilton59

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I was employed as a Plant Operation Manager and held the position for 3 yrs. The employees have had several accidents in the past 6 mos. I was not present at any of these accidents and had no control over the situations. My company's corporate employee came to our plant and terminated me because of these accidents. I was not given any previous warnings or any consultations. I also was not given anything in writing on my termination. I believe I was terminated because the company is suffering financial problems and I was the second-highest paid employee. My employment record is clean, with no write-ups whatsoever. I am seeking, at the very least, to keep this termination off my record and possibly getting some sort of severance pay. I have many other points to bring up in this situation, which involves safety issues that I have tried to get changed in the plant, and the company did not want to spend the money. Do I have any legal rights in this matter. I appreciate any help and direction that you could give. I have a family to support. Thank you.

I was employed as a Plant Operation Manager and held the position for 3 yrs. The employees have had several accidents in the past 6 mos. I was not present at any of these accidents and had no control over the situations.
That doesn't mean you can pass the buck, especially if you're an ops manager.

My company's corporate employee came to our plant and terminated me because of these accidents.
I believe I was terminated because the company is suffering financial problems and I was the second-highest paid employee.
Wait, so which was it?

I also was not given anything in writing on my termination.
So how do you know that you were terminated for the accidents?

Not only is this legal, this right is generally reserved for companies to manage their finances by reductions in force.

I am seeking, at the very least, to keep this termination off my record and possibly getting some sort of severance pay.
You are not entitled to severance, but it sounds like you could collect unemployment.

Do I have any legal rights in this matter. I appreciate any help and direction that you could give. I have a family to support. Thank you.
You have the right to find a new job, and to file for unemployment.

Hamilton59

I really appreciate the feedback. Yes, I was told I was terminated because of the accidents. That was the sole reason. But I feel I was the fall guy because of their financial losses. I will apply for unemployment and will obtain another job and move on. I never stated anything about this being fair.

HomeGuru

I really appreciate the feedback. Yes, I was told I was terminated because of the accidents. That was the sole reason. But I feel I was the fall guy because of their financial losses. I will apply for unemployment and will obtain another job and move on. I never stated anything about this being fair.
**A: you got that right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">