• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination-Famliy Medical Leave Act

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

help99

I live in NJ. I would like to know does the Family Medical Leave Act begin on the first day I was out ill or shouldn't my employer have first used up my sick time that I had earned, thereby beginning FMLA leave after the exhaustion of all sick days. Please advise. Thankyou

racer72

It is actually up to the employer. My employer allows persons to take family leave without using sick leave but my wifes employer only allows family after sick leave has been used up. From the act: An eligible employee may elect, or an employer may require the employee, to substitute any of the accrued paid vacation leave, personal leave, or medical or sick leave of the employee for leave provided under subparagraph (C) or (D) of subsection (a)(1) for any part of the 12-week period of such leave under such subsection, except that nothing in this title shall require an employer to provide paid sick leave or paid medical leave in any situation in which such employer would not normally provide any such paid leave.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">