• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Court Date Listed on Expired Registration Citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

turfdawg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I own a car which I have not driven in 6 to 8 months parked on the street in front of MY house (located in a cul-de-sac). The tags and registration expired a few months back. This has not mattered to me because, as I said, I have not been driving the car.

Yesterday, my car was cited for having "Expired Registration Plate" and "Expired Registration Receipt". The citation lists my street address in the "Exact Location of Violation" field. The citation was left on the car along with a 24 hour tow notice. Since I have not been driving the car is this a proper citation? Am I not entitled to leave the vehicle on the street in front of my own house?

Also, the "Court Date" was not filled in, neither the "Court" nor the "Payable" fields were checked. Is this sufficient to "ignore" the ticket? I have since pulled the car into my driveway. Court

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

racer72

Since I have not been driving the car is this a proper citation?
Whether you drive the car or not is irrelevant, the citation is proper.

Am I not entitled to leave the vehicle on the street in front of my own house?
Only properly licensed vehicles are allowed on the road, this includes the portion in front of your house.

Also, the "Court Date" was not filled in, neither the "Court" nor the "Payable" fields were checked. Is this sufficient to "ignore" the ticket?
Never ignore a ticket. Call the court and ask about the missing info.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I own a car which I have not driven in 6 to 8 months parked on the street in front of MY house (located in a cul-de-sac). The tags and registration expired a few months back. This has not mattered to me because, as I said, I have not been driving the car.

Yesterday, my car was cited for having "Expired Registration Plate" and "Expired Registration Receipt". The citation lists my street address in the "Exact Location of Violation" field. The citation was left on the car along with a 24 hour tow notice. Since I have not been driving the car is this a proper citation? Am I not entitled to leave the vehicle on the street in front of my own house?

Also, the "Court Date" was not filled in, neither the "Court" nor the "Payable" fields were checked. Is this sufficient to "ignore" the ticket? I have since pulled the car into my driveway. Court

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It does now...

patstew

For future reference, you're ALWAYS responsible for knowing what the regulations are for the area in which you live. It's not a bad idea to contact your city hall or its equivalent and see if you can read local laws online or perhaps at the library.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">