• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can benificiary be changed by POA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
My mom was diagnosed with what was believed to be the beginings of Alzheimers in Novemeber. While she was still pretty much clear head (just forgetful) she signed the paperwork for me to be her POA. Her alzheimers wound up being a very rare brain disease and she passed away last week (2/10/09 ) She had a life insurance policy valued at 17k. I changed the benificiary on her insurance policy to myself on 2/4/09 in order to cover her funeral expences and to re-imburse myself for the expenses I incurred while caring for her (i.e., diabetic supplies, nutritional supplements, heat installed into a bedroom I made for her ect..) My older brother was the original beneficiary and if I had not made those changes I would have been stuck with the bill for EVERYTHING.. and he would have just walked away with the 17k. He is now seeking legal action to have the life insurance money go to himself ... can he get away with this?

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
My mom was diagnosed with what was believed to be the beginings of Alzheimers in Novemeber. While she was still pretty much clear head (just forgetful) she signed the paperwork for me to be her POA. Her alzheimers wound up being a very rare brain disease and she passed away last week (2/10/09 ) She had a life insurance policy valued at 17k. I changed the benificiary on her insurance policy to myself on 2/4/09 in order to cover her funeral expences and to re-imburse myself for the expenses I incurred while caring for her (i.e., diabetic supplies, nutritional supplements, heat installed into a bedroom I made for her ect..) My older brother was the original beneficiary and if I had not made those changes I would have been stuck with the bill for EVERYTHING.. and he would have just walked away with the 17k. He is now seeking legal action to have the life insurance money go to himself ... can he get away with this?
Did the POA give you the right to change the beneficiary of the life insurance policy? To reimburse yourself, you needed to submit a claim to mom's estate.

Brother has every right to seek legal action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">