• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad wants to leave nursing home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joyful3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
My dad is 86 and in a nursing home. He has a feeding tube because he is unable to swallow. He has no other medical conditions. He is able to walk, dress himself and is mentally sound. He wants to go home.
His wife (who's 20 years younger) does not want him to come home because she does not want her life interrupted. She says he must stay in the nursing home because "what if something happened to him".

What are my dad's rights. Can he make the decision to go home despite his wife's objections? Can she legally keep him from returning home?

Hot Topic

It's not at all unusual for someone to want to leave a nursing home, but if your dad is unable to swallow, he needs to be in an environment where he can be constantly monitored.

The best course of action is to distract him when he expresses the desire to go home.

Unless you're willing to go to their home and watch your dad 24 hours a day due to the swallowing situation, don't condemn his wife.

justalayman

before anybody makes this call, it must be determined if he actually needs med care around the clock. Having a feeding tube does not, by itself, mean a person must be in a care facility. A feeding tube can be properly maintained at home IF the person is competent or has arranged care.

I am aware of parents of a child that has a feeding tube. Not only is the child at home but the child is taken to a day care service regularly.

Personally, from what you have posted, I see no reason dad shouldn't be able to return home but obviously a medical expert needs to make the actual determination.

and no, if this is dads house, wife cannot prevent dad from coming home. The only thing she could do to prevent him coming home is proving, in court, dad MUST be in a care facility. I don;t see any reason to believe this would be the case.

actually, even then, since he is of sound mind, even a court would be hard pressed to force a nursing home on him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">