• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold truck 10 months ago... and they didn't register.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

questionforyou

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

Okay, I sold a truck 10 months ago when I was stationed in Las Vegas NV.
Well this week I got 4 parking tickets mailed to my parents address (the address from the registration), as well as an impound letter. I now live in Northern Nevada as I was medically discharged from the military. The parking tickets and impound for the truck are for Los Angeles, CA. Like I said I sold this truck 10 months ago, but apparently the person I sold it to never registered it. I called and talked to them and they said it was found abandoned. It wasn't worth much when I sold it... Its a 1988 and I only sold it for $600. Well when I talked to them they said I HAVE to pay the parking tickets in order to request a hearing... but then I'll have to go all the way to LA for a court hearing.... and HOPE that they take my word for it that I sold it sense I can't find the bill of sale, if I even still have it.

Is there anything legally I can do? I have never even been to LA, except once I had an hour layover at LAX.

Before this I have never had a parking ticket/speeding ticket/nothing... I had a completely clean driving record. I also hold a top secret DoD clearance from the military, and would risk losing that if they put out a warrant or something because of this.

efflandt

Do you have a bill of sale or something signed by the person who bought your vehicle and identification information (driver's license info including address, etc.)?

Did you comply with this:

Nevada license plates are issued to people and businesses, not to vehicles...

Please keep your license plates if you are selling a vehicle! Nevada law requires you to either use them on another vehicle or turn them in for cancellation within 30 days of the sale. If you wish to retain personalized plates for a longer period, you must surrender the decal. See Selling A Vehicle and Plate Surrender/Refunds.
You didn't leave "your" plates on the vehicle did you?

questionforyou

Do you have a bill of sale or something signed by the person who bought your vehicle and identification information (driver's license info including address, etc.)?
Did you comply with this:
You didn't leave "your" plates on the vehicle did you?
I forgot to take the plates off of the vehicle, but I have filled out a "Lost, Stolen, or Mutilated License Plate Affidavit" sense all of this has happened. The DMV said that is the form they normally have people fill out when they leave the plates on a vehicle when it's sold. The form does have a place to check that you left it on a sold vehicle. I have JUST filled this out today, I went down to my local DMV to see what if anything could be done on their end.

I did find the Bill of Sale - but today the DMV ran the driver's license # the guy had put on the Bill of Sale and it is a fake #. Sense he used a fake # on the Bill of Sale, I can only imagine he used a fake name too. Obviously it was purchased to use for illegal activity as it was driven for months then abandoned in a different state.

So now we're stuck wondering if there is anything we can do. Does the CA court system have to clear us out sense we have a bill of sale? Or sense the Buyer's Driver's License # is fake, will they still count it as my vehicle?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">